Having a website that looks amazing on all devices is essential for any small business. But you might be surprised to learn that the font you chose may not look the same across all browsers and operating systems, meaning customers could have difficulty viewing your site! This is why it’s important to use web safe fonts throughout your entire website; they guarantee consistency and compatibility so everyone can experience your content in the same way no matter which device they’re using. In this blog post, we’ll explore what web safe fonts are, and their benefits, and provide some great tips on how to make sure yours is just as visually stunning as you intended!
What is a Web Safe Font?
When it comes to designing websites, certain fonts are considered “web safe”. These fonts are the ones that are most likely to be available on all computers and devices, so they can be used without any compatibility issues. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at web safe fonts and why they’re important for web design.
What Makes a Font Web Safe?
The main factor that makes a font “web safe” is its availability on all computers and devices. This means that the font must be installed on the user’s computer or device for it to be displayed correctly. The most common web safe fonts are Arial, Verdana, Trebuchet MS, Georgia, and Times New Roman. These fonts are pre-installed on most computers and devices, so they can be used without any compatibility issues.
Why Use Web Safe Fonts?
Using web safe fonts is important because it ensures that your website will look the same across all devices and browsers. If you use a font that isn’t available on all computers or devices, then some users may not be able to see your website correctly. This can lead to confusion and frustration for your visitors, which is why it’s important to use web safe fonts whenever possible.
Tips for Choosing Web Safe Fonts
When choosing web safe fonts for your website, there are a few tips you should keep in mind:
- Stick with the basics: As mentioned above, the most common web safe fonts are Arial, Verdana, Trebuchet MS, Georgia, and Times New Roman. These fonts have been around for years and will work on almost any device or browser.
- Test different combinations: If you want to get creative with your font choices, try testing different combinations of web safe fonts to see which ones look best together. This will help you create an attractive design without sacrificing compatibility across different devices or browsers.
- Use system fonts: System fonts like San Francisco (on Apple devices) or Segoe UI (on Windows) can also be used as web safe fonts since they come pre-installed on most computers and devices. This is a great way to add some variety to your design without sacrificing compatibility across different platforms.
- Consider using Google Fonts: Google Fonts offers hundreds of free open source typefaces that can be used as web safe fonts on websites. This is an easy way to add some variety to your designs without having to worry about compatibility issues across different platforms or browsers.
But what if you want to use a specific font and it’s not on the list? You have a few options.
Google Fonts is an online library of over 900 free Open Source fonts hosted by Google. They are web-safe fonts which means they are designed to be displayed on web pages without any problems, making them an ideal choice for website developers and designers.
These fonts are created by professional font designers, and all of them have been optimized to work on the web. The fonts are also searchable, allowing you to find the perfect font for your project quickly and easily.
With Google Fonts, you can use any of these fonts in your web design without paying a penny, giving you access to an array of professional-quality typefaces for free. Not only can you customize the text with different colours and sizes, but you can also adjust letter spacing and line heights to create unique designs that look great on any device or browser.
You’ll never have to worry about licensing fees again — just choose the font you love and start creating!
Instal the Font
If you instal the font on your laptop it will show up great for you – but are you going to instal it on everyone’s laptop – NO!
What you can do is instal the font on the website itself. There are sites you can buy Fonts and instal the files on the website. If you want to instal a font I suggest you check out this post “How to Add Custom Fonts in WordPress“.
Fonts are considered intellectual property, just like any other creative work. This means that the creator of the font has the right to control how it is used. To use a font on your website, you need to obtain a license from the font creator.
There are a few different types of font licenses, each with its own set of restrictions. Some licenses allow you to use the font for personal or non-commercial use, while others allow you to use the font for commercial purposes. Some licenses also allow you to modify the font, while others do not.
It is important to read the terms of the font license carefully before you use a font on your website. If you violate the terms of the license you could be sued by the font creator.
Web safe fonts are essential for creating websites that look good across all devices and browsers. By sticking with the basics (Arial, Verdana, Trebuchet MS, Georgia, Times New Roman) or exploring options like system fonts or Google Fonts, you can create attractive designs without sacrificing compatibility across different platforms or browsers.
Here are some additional tips for using web safe fonts on your website:
- Use a consistent font throughout your website. This will help create a cohesive look and feel.
- Use different font sizes and weights to create visual interest.
- Use italics and boldface sparingly to emphasize important text.
- Use a font that is easy to read. Avoid using fonts that are too small or too complex.
- Test your website on different devices and browsers to ensure your fonts look good everywhere.
By following these tips, you can use web safe fonts to create a website that looks great and is easy to use.
For more advice regarding creating a website for your small business, book in for an obligation free chat today or contact me I can help get you going!